Monday, April 6, 2015

Easter in Bugasong- no chocolate bunnies

Update from Jacob.....

My Dearest Family,

Well to start, this week has been a week of crazy and just the coolest things happening to us. I really have yet again seen how the Lord can humble me and teach me. Elder Swanton, it's time to take this up another notch and it's time you start to prepare. These last few days I have noticed that I am not as good at the language as my mind thinks that I am. Many a times, I have found myself in a situation where I should be able to speak and understand and yet I am not able to. Then, I think back and realize that I forgot to language study that day or I did not read for the whole time. In other words, I need to work on obedience. This is the subtle push from the Lord saying it's time to buckle down and get to work; and so that is the goal for the rest of this mission is to get to work and start to take this as serious as I can. 

Alright, now to describe the week. So we were down here in San Jose for three days last week because the Support did not come the day that we thought it would, so the zone was out of money and we could not get home until we all went and withdrew at the ATM. When we finally got home, it was Wednesday and we went straight to work to get our hours up and lessons done for the week. Me and my companion have really worked on handing out Book of Mormons and really just finding new people to teach. 
 
Also, we had to clean out our room cause we either have a spider infestation or cockroaches cause my legs are covered in these bad bites. So that is the thing that we are trying to figure out is what the heck they are from. I read that you want to know how Chester is doing. Well, he ate our door so we don't let him in anymore. 
 
Now, down to business. We made our return visit to Yapo, the village in the hills. This time we brought Elder Larson and his companion along. This time was filled with memories. On the way up, my companion and I came across this very drunk family and they invite us in to drink and smoke. We of course told them no and then we started to explain the restoration to them. The next thing we knew they were climbing up the nearest coconut trees getting us some fresh buko and man it was so good! They also said that we could come back when they were not drunk so that is a good thing.  After we took some pictures, we continued the trip to Yapo. After the 3-hour hike was over, the four of us finally arrived and guess what the first thing that we all needed was water! Then we all spit up to cover more ground and see what we could get while we were there. Me and my companion found 1 family and I really have good feelings about them. Even though the church is so far away, I feel like they might actually be able to make it. Elder Larson and Francisco also found some good prospective investigators. Also, I got some Amazing pictures. I guess what me and my companion did was kinda a big deal cause the whole mission is freaking out; like holy cow! You guys hiked all that way and did not even know what to expect! My comp and I are just like yeah, ha ha. It has been super fun and the work even though slow is moving along. I think my end goal for when I get out of this area is that they have some good priesthood holders that care about the church and their families. 

We really did not celebrate Easter over here because it's just a holiday for getting drunk, so I just read the new Liahona and fasted for 12 hours to celebrate. I really have been thinking about the sacrifice of the Savoir these past few days and it's funny because I feel like sometimes that my mission is hard and is pushing me to my limits. Then I think the things that Jesus went through and how He payed for all the world's sins and did it willingly. How can I be so selfish to not give my all for 2 years. I love the analogy that a mission is paying tithing on life so far. You would not go back and take the tithing money that you have already paid would you? No no one would do that, so how can missionaries waste any of this precious time. I can do anything with the help of Heavenly Father!  I really can't wait for General Conference this weekend and I really hope that I can get everything out of it that the Lord wants me to. 

For now, I am just glad that I have this opportunity to serve and be over here in God's Army. I love you all and can't wait for Mother's Day to see you. 
Love, Elder Swanton

I also forgot to mention that Elder Larson and I have started a little music group called the Missionary Mixtapes. We had the opportunity to perform at two different zone trainings now. The only problem is that I can't send home the videos because they are way too big, but don't worry I will show you them someday.
Happy Easter!!!
 
Will re-visit them when they dry out a bit.




Trail to Yapo

Yapo

In route to Yapo

"Missionary Mixtapes"
 

No comments:

Post a Comment